If either party has been married before, whether in the Catholic Church or by any other civil or religious authority, you will need to obtain an annulment before beginning marriage preparation. This is for both Catholic and non-Catholic parties. For more information, please contact your parish and ask to speak to their marriage preparation coordinator or nullity minister.